THE SPA AT SARATOGA

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Turfrace Category Numbers Detailed

I, personally, prefer to use the category numbers in addition to the top Fox Powers.  The numbers I give the most attention after the top Fox Powers numbers are E/S, L/S, total speed and last 4 finishes.

I look at E/S and L/S a little diferently.  If a horse has 38 or higher for E/S and is a top Fox Power he gets my attention particuarly in a sprint race.  If that horse is near the bottom of the Fox Powers he does not.  Although I have seen several of the win and pay over $50, but not often enough to try making a living with them.

I look at L/S differently.  If a horse has a 38 or higher, I could care less where he is in the Fox Powers.  Don't take it the wrong way, a higher Fox Power is better, but any horse with 38 for L/S regardless of the odds and Fox Power ranking should always be on your exotics tickets.

For total speed when I see 70 or higher, and it is a top 3 Fox Power which usually will be, I don't look much further for my top horse.

Here's my take on the horse's last 4 finishes, which I feel has been a great addition to Fox Powers.  As all of you know I have been a class bettor as long as I have handicapped the races.  I've had to lighten up on class because of slot machines.  Class is no longer a single figure that you can hang your hat on.  So the last 4 finishes are important for consistency reasons.  On Belmont day, in the 12th race I picked Tasor as the value play.  He was 2nd at 18-1 behind the top Fox Power making a very nice exacta.  I listed him as a value play only because he had two wins and a 2nd in his last 4 races.

If you aren't using the category numbers you should, especially for those standout numbers I mentioned above.  Remember that the Fox Power is a horse's OVERALL rating.  So look for that single number that will give you a nice priced winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment